Posted on

U.S. Organic Sales Continue to Climb

National_Organic_Program

Touch the Soil News #738 Sales of Organic Food and other products have grown by over 140 percent in the last 10 years. From 2015 to 2016, sales increased 8.3 percent. Organic Sales for 2016 totaled $47 billion. Of that amount, $43.1 billion was food (92 percent). The other 8 percent was in non-food organic products such as textiles and cosmetics. The following chart helps illustrate the ongoing upward trend in organics. “Polling shows the No.1 reason people go to organic is to avoid pesticides, chemicals and all of those things that are not allowed in organics,” said Katherine Paul, associate director of Minnesota-based Organic Consumers Association. “So I think…

Read more

Posted on

Catching Up On the World of Organics

National_Organic_Program

Touch the Soil News #464 The nation’s largest organic wheat flour producer – Cascade Organic Flour, LLC – is doubling its organic wheat acreage to 5,000 acres. Located in Royal, Washington the firm is a family owned farm. The enterprise not only grows the wheat, but they also mill their own flour. The additional acreage will allow the company to produce 30 million pounds of whole wheat organic flour a year. http://www.cascadeorganicflour.com/ Photo: Picture logo of Cascade Organic Flour (photo courtesy of Cascade Organic Flour). Door to Door Organics, from Lafayette, Colorado offers direct delivery of natural and organic groceries to your location. The company has relationships with local farmers…

Read more