Touch the Soil News #509
The bottom line is that farmers’ markets are continuing to grow according to the USDA. On average, over the past 20 years, the number of farmers’ markets in the U.S. have increased an average of 315 new markets every year (see Info Graphic below). Estimates are that sales at farmers’ markets in America will reach about $1.1 billion in 2016.
The top five states with the most markets (from the bottom) are Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, New York and California as No. 1.
Each year, different organizations list their top ten favorite farmers’ markets. While they vary each year, some of the top farmers’ markets in America are:
- University District Farmers’ Market, Seattle, Washington
- Green City Market, Chicago, Illinois
- Ferry Plaza Farmers’ Market, San Francisco, California
- Santa Monica Farmers’ Market, Santa Monica, California
- Crescent City Farmers’ Market, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Portland Farmers’ Market, Portland, Oregon
- St. Paul Farmers’ Market, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Portland Farmers’ Market, Portland, Maine
- Union Square Greenmarket, New York, New York
- Santa Fe Farmers’ Market, Santa Fe, New Mexico
Following is a short video clip on the Portland Oregon Farmers’ Market: