Touch the Soil News #920 (Feature photo – NASA Hydroponic Space Food Experiments – photo courtesy of NASA)
Inhabitat recently posted an interesting story on the six places where soil-less farming is revolutionizing agriculture. Interesting is where these places are:
- In stores, where hydroponic appliances grow fresh greens and herbs.
- In deserts, where aeroponic systems feed roots with soft water sprays.
- In cities where vertical farming (using hydroponics) is rapidly gaining traction.
- Underground in abandoned garages, etc. – things like mushrooms or other vertical farm crops with artificial lighting.
- On the water, with floating farms which includes solar powered desalination technology.
- At your home with an emerging array of hydroponic growing appliances.
You can read the full story here: https://inhabitat.com/6-places-where-soil-less-farming-is-changing-how-we-grow-food/
Not included as a place where soil-less farming is taking place is in space. NASA has been experimenting for years to develop closed-loop food growing systems.